Version 6.18 of Caliber has been released. This open source ebook manager is available for Windows, Linux and macOS. Among other things, it can look up all relevant information and cover images, and convert e-books to make them suitable for the various types of e-readers. Furthermore, the program can convert newspapers, magazines and news articles based on RSS feeds into e-book format. Books can also be purchased with Caliber from the well-known webshops.
In version 6.0 among other things, the switch to Qt 6 has been made. However, this means that the program only works on computers equipped with a 64-bit processor and a minimum of Windows 10 or macOS 11 is required. Furthermore, it is now possible to search all books in the library instead of just the current book, and there are also versions for Arm and Apple Silicon processors. The following changes and improvements have also been made in this update:
- Cover download: Allowing saving alternate covers to disk or in the book’s data folder by right clicking on the cover. Closes tickets: 2020603.
- Content server: Allow disabling full text search via the web interface. Closes tickets: 2020237.
- When sending books to the device confirm the overwrite if the book already exists on the device. Closes tickets: 2020233.
- E-book viewer: Handle horizontal wheel events as section jumps in paged mode.
- Comic Input: When grayscaling comic images use 16bit gray instead of 8bit for better fidelity. When using the PNG format for images this results in larger files but with better grayscaling fidelity.
- Add a new option in Preferences->Searching to disable keyboard searching in book list (i.e. you can turn off the behavior that pressing a key will jump to the first book whose title starts with that letter).
- Manage categories dialog: Use alternating row colors and allow adjusting row height. Closes tickets: 2018423.
- Allow assigning a keyboard shortcut in Preferences->Shortcuts to open the data folder of a book.
- Various improvements to syntax highlighting for the Markdown long text editor.
- Fix a regression in 6.16 that broke restoring of the database. Closes tickets: 2018025.
- Tag browser: Fix using F2 to edit items not allowing completion.
- Book details: Fix formatting of text when copying all book details in narrow mode.
- Book details: Fix copy all not respecting line breaks in fields.
- Fix a regression in previous release that broke scrolling when using the scroll_per_row tweak. Closes tickets: 2018660.
- Fix a regression in the previous release that broke the category manager dialog in some situations. Closes tickets: 2018548.
- 6.18.1 fixes a regression that broke setting metadata and generating PDF files in the macOS and Linux binary builds.
New news sources
- Irish Times Free by unkn0wn
- theEconomist.is and The Confidential by Hugo Meza
Improved news sources
- Washington Post
- Irish Independent and Irish Times
- Live Mint