Prince Harry says “they were happy to lie to protect” Prince William in an explosive new trailer for his and Meghan Markle‘s Netflix show released today. But the teaser does not make clear who the Duke of Sussex is referring to in the incendiary comments which are likely to fuel the ongoing rift between the once-close brothers.
In the clip, Harry says: “They were happy to lie to protect my brother. They were never willing to tell the truth to protect us.”
The dramatic 90-second teaser comes ahead of the second instalment of the Sussexes’ docuseries on Thursday, and focuses on the couple’s decision to step back as working royals.
It opens with Harry saying: “I wonder what would have happened to us, had we not gone out when we did.”
Meghan says: “Our security was being pulled, everyone in the world knew where we were.” Harry adds: “I said ‘we need to get out of here’.”
Reacting to the latest teaser, the Daily Express’s royal correspondent Richard Palmer described it as “quite an escalation”.
TalkTV presenter Piers Morgan, who has been a fierce critic of the couple, tweeted: “King Charles needs to strip these two poisonous rats of all remaining titles and ties to the Royal Family.. and needs to do it fast before they destroy the monarchy.”
Royal author Angela Levin said: “Harry and Meghan are now going too far.”
The Sunday Times’ royal editor Roya Nikkhah said: “Prince Harry talks of ‘institutional gaslighting’ and says ‘they were willing to lie to protect my brother’. Meghan says ‘I was being fed to the wolves’.
“Looks like part two of the Sussexes’ Netflix series will drop more bombs on the monarchy as Harry and Meghan speak their truths.”
The Daily Mail’s Rebecca English added: “As we all suspected last week, the gloves are off. Harry and Meghan accuse Buckingham Palace of ‘institutional gaslighting’. He says say ‘they’ (not clear who) were ‘happy to lie to protect my brother but were never willing to tell the truth to protect us’.”
ITV’s royal editor Chris Ship said: “It’s getting dirty…”
It comes as the Sussexes, who are living in California after quitting royal duties, have faced criticism over the six-part series.
There have been calls for the pair to be stripped of their royal titles and for them not to attend King Charles’s coronation next year.
The first three episodes of the documentary, released last Thursday, looked at the couple’s tumultuous relationship with the press.
But friends fear the Prince of Wales is unlikely to ever make up with his younger brother Harry following the show.
A friend told the Daily Mail: “All relationships are built on trust but for members of the Royal Family, who live their life in the spotlight, doubly so.
“The prince is a very private man and what Harry is doing is the anathema of everything he believes.
“On that alone, many believe it is unlikely he will ever be able to repair his relationship with them. Too much water has gone under the bridge.”
The docuseries is the first major output from the lucrative deal the Sussexes struck with Netflix after quitting royal duties in 2020.