20 Dec 2022 02:33 GMT
The actress indicated that she made the decision after “losing faith in the US legal system”, where her testimony “fed the show and social networks”.
Amber Heard announced on Monday that she has reached an agreement to close the defamation case filed against her by her ex-husband Johnny Depp, in the context of which she filed an appeal a few weeks ago.
“After much deliberation, I have made the very difficult decision to resolve the defamation case filed against me by my ex-husband in Virginia,” the actress said on Instagram (owned by Meta, classified as an extremist organization in Russia). In her message, Heard stresses that she has always stood up for her truth and that in doing so “Her life as she knew it has been destroyed.”
“The debasement that I have faced on social networks is an amplified version of the ways in which women are revictimized when they step forward to denounce,” said the actress, who clarified that has not made any concessions to reach the agreement. “There are no restrictions or gags regarding my voice in the future,” she said.
Meanwhile, he pointed out that he made the decision after “losing faith in the US legal system”, where —he affirms— his testimony “fed the show and social networks.” In this context, she recalled the favorable sentence that he obtained in November 2020 in a British court in the case for libel filed by Depp against The Sun newspaper following an article accusing him of having used domestic violence against Heard.
“I was vindicated by a robust, impartial and fair system, where I was protected from having to give the worst moments of my testimony in front of the world press,” wrote the actress, who in the Virginia court was involved in a trial where — ensures— “popularity and power mattered more than reason and due process”.
Last December 5 Los Angeles Times made it known that Heard officially appealed the judge’s decision that did not uphold him, alleging that there were errors in the trial, including allowing the case to be tried in Virginia, as well as that the court prevented some evidence from being presented.
However, in her message, the actress explained that, even if her appeal had been admitted, “the best result would have been a repeat trial, where the jury would have to consider the evidence again.” “I just can’t go through that a third time”he admitted.
“For too many years I have been caged in an arduous and costly legal process, which has proven incapable of protecting me and my right to free speech. I cannot afford to risk an impossible bill, one that is not just financial, but also psychological, physical and emotional,” he said. “Women should not have to face abuse or bankruptcy for telling their truth,” she added, reiterating that she will not be discouraged or dissuaded from speaking the truth. “My voice will forever remain the most valuable asset I have.”he stressed.
As part of the agreement, the actress will pay her ex-husband one million dollarsaccording to Depp’s lawyers quoted by NBS News, who stated “we are delighted to formally close the door on this painful chapter for Mr. Depp, who has made clear his intention throughout this process to expose the truth.”
- Depp, 58, sued his ex-wife, 36, for defamation in relation to a 2018 article she published in The Washington Post and in which she claimed to have been a victim of domestic abuse, although she did not specify the name of her alleged abuser.
- On June 1, the jury I consider that in the judicial process it has been shown that there was defamation against Depp and that, therefore, the actress had to pay 10 million dollars in compensation and 5 million dollars in punitive damages.